Saturday, July 18, 2009

Snowman box and book

This is truly an altered art piece...I dont like to throw out anything that I might be able to create something new from...This little thin round box, is actually one of those Laughing Cow Cheese boxes...thats good cheese by the way...anyway...I basecoated the box with off white acrylic paint, then with 3 coats of blue, I wanted it very midnight dark blue in color...I painted the snowman head on the cover, then spattered the box with white and light blue paints...sealed with 3 coats of waterbased varnish...I was going to just use it as it was...but no...I had to go one step further...and make a mini book to go with it...
Using my 4 inch round die cut from chipboard I made covers for a book that will fit perfect inside the box...It will use a clear snap ring or silver ball chain closure...both of those are in my studio, so I will have to wait and get them later to bind the book...anyway...I basecoated the chipboard circles in the same dark blue, free hand painted the snowman and spattered the covers with white paint...I sealed each with waterbased varnish...


I used white paint on my stamp to stamp the back of the book, I cut white cardstock pages for the book and sponged them with dark and light blue paints, mixed on the sponge...then spattered with white paint too...this will be a perfect little book to share snowday photos in and the little box, will look nice as a year round decoration....

2 comments:

Nettie said...

this is stunning Debbie: I love it, love it! absolutely amazing and will inspire me to think out the box (or should I say IN the box!) have a great weekend, hugs Nettie x

Germaine Ferrao -Lenn said...

Your snowman is amazing Debbie! Its been a long time since I have been to visit with you! love this and I hope I will be able to make one this christmas, TFS! Hugs always!