Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Antique Quilt Tops

I am not sure the name of this quilt block, something like Grandmothers garden or garden path...I will have to look it up...anyway...this quilt top was made in the 1950's, by my great grandmother and my great aunt...I was told that some others worked on it too..but not sure who they were...
This quilt top was all hand piece...and the fabrics in it are gorgeous...but they are so fragile, I am scared to do anything with it...
I love to look at it...but not sure what I will ever do with it...
This is my absolute favorite possession I own...this quilt was done around the same time frame...I think maybe later 1950's...I think its called sunbonnet sue or something like that...I used to still have the brown paper pattern, but cannot find it right now...
Each of the little girls as I refer to them...is hand pieced, but the rest of this quilt is machine stitched...
I love to take this quilt top out and just look at it...I love each of the little girls...the colors are still so vibrant...as I have kept it in dark places since I got it in the early 1980's...My uncle had already thrown these two quilt tops, along with tons of other stuff in the trash...You should have seen me dumpster diving...LOL...thank goodness, I knew all the trash in there was from him...he just took truck load after truck load to the dump...cleaning out my great aunts house...never realizing what he was throwing away...he asked me later...what are you gonna do with that fabric...you dont sew...well...it didn't matter whether I was gonna sew with it or not...I wanted it...so I hauled home, truck loads of stuff to share with my family...most of the fabric I gave to moma, as she sewed lots of stuff back then...
This is the back side of the girls...I am still amazed every time I look at this quilt...Oh, and by the way...I do sew...I made straight A's in Home Economics class...I just choose not to sew...LOL...actually I did go buy myself a sewing machine after I got married a couple years ago...and I play with it...but as long as wal mart sells clothes...I just aint gonna sew...

3 comments:

Nettie said...

I love these quilts Debbie, thank goodness you managed to save them within the family! They are real treasures and famil heirlooms that's for sure!
Thanks for showing them,
Nettie

Sue said...

LOL I aced four years of home ec too (actually was supposed to get the Betty Crocker award for the highest grade for four years, but that's another story). I used to do a lot of sewing. Even made my wedding gown and bridesmaids gowns; lots of dresses for my girls when they were little. Now I only use my sewing machine to stitch on layouts!! Oh, and I don't cook much any more either!! As long as there are restaurants, why cook??? LOL
GREAT quilt tops, Debbie!!

Anonymous said...

Your Grandmother's Flower Garden and Sunbonnet Sue quilts are lovely! Some people used to piece Grandmother's Flower Garden using paper "templates" to fold back the edges of each hexagon, so you may find some paper that wasn't removed long ago. You're smart to store the quilts in the dark, and please take them out of storage and re-fold them periodically so the folded edges don't wear -- sounds strange, but it can happen. I'm sure there is a lot more information online about laundering and storing quilts. Be sure to enjoy them and not just keep them packed away!